Monday 25 October 2010

Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy



This song was what The Verve got their idea of walking down a busy street at the same stride and in the same direction from so that is the intertextual reference. Like The Verve the camera is focussed on one person for the whole video which allows the audience to see the mise-en-scene and everyday happenings that are going on behind her. Unlike The Verve, there is a lot more emotion portrayed by the main singer whereas in Bittersweet Symphony he has more attitude and barges past people etc. This makes the video quite intense whereas this video is a lot more relaxed.

This song has very little lip syncing because there aren't a lot of words in the song, the song is simply just:

I know that I've imagined love before
And how it could be with you
Really hurt me baby, really cut me baby
How can you have a day without a night
You're the book that I have opened
And now I've got to know much more

The curiousness of your potential kiss
Has got my mind and body aching
Really hurt me baby, really cut me baby
How can you have a day without a night
You're the book that I have opened
And now I've got to know much more

Like a soul without a mind
And a body without a heart
I'm missing every part

Hey, hey, hey
I, I, I, I




This is a song about being broken hearted, the emotion isn't portrayed as strongly as Sinead O'Connor's 'Nothing Compare's 2 U' or the video we are hoping to produce, but there is still emotion there, just very minimal. The emotions inthis video are very mixed, anger is portrayedmore than that sadness, this could be used in our video at some points.

Disjuncture is in this video because the video doesn't nessecerily project the meaning of the song, unlike Bittersweet Symphony because that song is about life so seeing everyday things in the background fits, but with this there is a strong case of disjucture. Although, her facial expressions whilst lip syncing which then amplifies and illustrates the meaning of the song and her emotions.

1 comment:

  1. Better again Jordan. Using theory gives your work a greater sense of focus.

    ReplyDelete